Fucking Fuck

Only read this if you’re interested in the minutia of pod recording gone awry, a little kid’s croup and why the show won’t go up this week.

We recorded Tuesday. My brothers were both in town so I put off cutting until Thursday morning. Normally I convert the mp3 file into an AIFF file using ITunes then dump it into Final Cut Express. USUALLY this goes off without a hitch but this wasn’t usual…I kept getting a message saying ‘the drive Spookyboobs (name of my hard drive) cannot be written to or read from’. I thought it was a problem with ITunes as sometimes the program is quirky but even when I tried converting the file using Final Cut, it would get as far as 22% and then crap out.

So of course I call my main Asian and we think it’s probably a hard drive issue and I need to replace it. No 640 GB drives to be had at either Best Buy in my area so I had to order one from Amazon. By the time it arrives on Friday Ming’s called me back and we boot my laptop from the install cd which fixes some problems but not the Itunes issue. Ming suggests we convert the file using some other program and it works…off to the races. Almost immediately Suzanne tells me to come downstairs…My niece’s head feels hot and she’s got a hacky 2 pack a day cough going . We take her temp which clocks in at 104 degrees and her respiration is about 44 bpm so we call the doc who points us to the pediatric ER. After a breathing treatment, a chest X-ray, and a bacteria swab, she’s diagnosed with croup. We bring her home and by now it’s 9pm so I say ‘fuck it’ I’ll get up early tomorrow and edit the show. Surely the peeps will understand.

CUT TO:
INT. SCENIC BAKERY– HIGHLANDS — SATURDAY MORNING

Bry orders a bagel and a cup of tea then sets up his editing gear determined not to let the TESD listeners down. They WILL have their show by Saturday afternoon.

MONTAGE TO ‘PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT”
Bry edits
Bry eats his bagel
Bry sips tea
Bry cuts out a good joke Walt made so the bastard doesn’t appear funnier than Bry.

BACK TO:
REAL TIME where Bry’s mouth falls open in shock and horror.

BRY
What the fuck?

CLOSE ON:
The FINAL CUT timeline which reads 17:06

BRY
Quinn, that stupid mother
fucker!

END TITLE CARD #1:
The file for show fifty-nine was corrupted beyond repair. The sound cut out at 17 minutes, six seconds and never came back. This has never been explained.

DISSOLVE TO:

END TITLE CARD #2:
Though Ming assured Bry Q couldn’t have prevented the problem, Bry insists on holding it against him and suspects Ming’s unwavering defense is based on his desire to bump cockheads with Q.

DISSOLVE TO:

END TITLE CARD #3:
Sage is feeling better and got a Spongebob coloring/sticker book and new markers to pass the time in bed.

So….sorry everyone. I can’t stand it when this kind of shit happens and starting next week I’ll be recording to our regular digital recorder and backing up to my laptop for safety. We’ll do our best to double up the fun next week to make up for the lost show. In fact, if you have any topics you want us to talk about or questions your dying to hear our answers to, email them to us at tellemstevedave37@gmail.com with the subject line ‘Q fucked it up’ and we’ll pick a few to jaw about.

Bry

PS VH1 should be fucking ashamed of themselves for producing/airing something as disgraceful as ‘Mob Wives’ (Weinstein Brothers). It’s pretty grotesque that this is considered entertainment.

About tellemsd

We tell 'em. It's what we do. It's ALL we do.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

99 Responses to Fucking Fuck

1. Robert P says:

Will those 17 minutes ever see the light of day?

2. Robot bear says:

Happens to the best of us bro dont sweat it!

3. MikeScottL says:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the pods and the hard work in trying to save/cut/edit the pods….

4. Eric Sylvester says:

I blame Frank #3

5. agincourtdb says:

I feel like you can skip a week without anyone making a federal case out of it, technical difficulties or no. Not that I want you to, obviously, but don’t worry about it.

6. Tissue Fiend says:

Damn Bry, you’ve had a hard time of it. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. Excited for next weeks show in any case.

7. dima says:

Why not just record straight onto the laptop. Just plug in the microphone and record into garageband or whatever? Why use the digital recorder?

8. steve says:

Just in case you didnt see it on twitter, im a digital forensic major. Our job is find evidence of crimes on computers and, if needed, to rebuild files as much as we can to see what is on them. Is the file on the broken hard drive?

9. Nick says:

I’ll take 17 minutes of an episode lol, but definitely looking forward to next week episode! Keep up all the great poddin!

10. Robby says:

QUUUUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jason says:

at least this was well written enough to hold me over another week. everything is A ok

12. meltz911 says:

Fucking idiot.
    J/K Brian, stuff goes wrong in all our worlds, hope you can
    get it together sooner than later. My best to your niece.
    I was wondering, why not throw one of the “bonus” casts up as a
    way to just throw us dogs a bone…so to speak?

13. Cogitator X says:

Man, what a disappointment. Thanks for letting us know what’s up & not leaveing us hanging. Love the show, can’t wait for next week!

14. DaverJ says:

Sorry to hear of the frustration! The lack of episode this week will make next week’s even more welcome. Thanks for trying!

15. Ricky Payne says:

No worries. these things cant be helped. (Although in all fairness a proffesional podcaster should back his work up before working on the file.) My guess is that the mp3 got corrupted because the conversion to .Aiff was interrupted. #geekraplyric

Anyway, I will look forward to next weeks edition when walt jumps on your balls about this…..

16. Mystie says:

I was disappointed to not have a new show on Friday because it’s always a great end to the work week, but totally understand that a lack of show isn’t done intentionally. Besides, I met with my new manager to discuss the promotion and big raise I’m getting in a week, so I was walking on air all day, anyway.

17. TIM says:

No need to worry sir. We understand. The health of your family takes priority of the Pod. I am sure you will get some folks who will bitch and moan, but all this means is the TESD crew is gonna outdo themselves yet again with an amazingly good pod next week. Thanks for all the work you guys put into entertaining us, the masses.

18. Matt says:

that sucks man…. my kid had croup, not a lot of fun at all, wish you all the best. Twitter’d you some information on a program that could recover that HD file if you really want… though like others said, I think we can live with a week without.

19. Jarrod says:

Bummer. Always miss it when a new ep isn’t posted, but that just means I have more to look forward to next time. 🙂

Sorry for your frustration; I’m glad to hear that the little one’s doing well.

You guys might benefit from a service like Dropbox to auto-backup your important files. I use it for all of my important school work, and it hasn’t failed me once. Not sure if this would have helped at all, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to mention it anyway.

Also, and I’m just throwing this out there: if you have the original drive, and it’s suffering a mechanical failure, you might be able to fix it temporarily with the freezer trick. I was able to save my data from a failing drive by placing in a ziplock baggie in a freezer overnight (get as much air out as you can), hooking it up to a computer and copying the files.

20. Bill LaRue says:

Just wanted to add to what other people are saying about being able to live without a week of Steve-Dave.
    Shit happens. We could always go back and relisten to Makin’ Hay in anticipation of Makin’ Hay 2.

Also, I challenge Q to get at least one chick’s number on mic. I wanna hear how the smooth operator works.

21. Wood Sugars says:

Ooh, wasn’t Ming mad at you guys for recording late into Puck Nuts/Three Ming Circus time, too? haha it’ll probably end up as a rant next week.

No worries though. As others are saying so far, it was too bad we didn’t get a show but we appreciate you trying hard for the fans. And glad we got to read it in script form.

p.s. Cool to hear you edit pods in Final Cut too!

22. Ben Jarvis says:

That’s terrible Bry! Maybe the 17 minutes will make it to light someday. But sometimes you gotta let those little podcasts go.

BTW, any reason you are using MP3 to record the pre-cut show and not WAV or AIFF? MP3, no matter how high you set the bit-rate is still “lossy”. WAV is lossless and should open natively in Final Cut Express (just like AIFF) so no conversion step.

I prefer Audacity or Garage Band to FCE, but whatever gets the job done.

23. Gurdip says:

No prob Bry, even though you do this for free, the amount of work you put in is beyond anyone’s expectations. Keep up the great work and see you next week

24. Ben Jarvis says:

Also, for the record, you guys make me laugh every week and I’m very thankful you put in the work you guys do. So thankful in fact, I wanna buy a TESD shirt! Make it happen WALT/MING!

25. P.J. says:

No worries. Glad “Baby” is okay.

It’s funny: when u wrote about being in that diner w/ u’r bagel, it made me think of that scene from VULGAR (u know the one).

~ Cheers

26. Mike says:

Bummer.

No worries though. Have a good Easter.

Mike.

27. Mayernick says:

Sucks that there isn’t a show this week but I understand this happens. Possibly, you could always just take one of the unheard episodes you guys did during the Southwest tour and throw it up online. Maybe if you have some free time, cut and prepare the ones that haven’t been heard yet so if another crisis does occur, you have something already prepared that could be used for that week.

It would also be pretty cool to throw that seventeen minutes and some change clip at the beginning or tail end of next week’s pod.

28. Dom says:

Hope Sage is well. Look forward to next week’s pod.

29. Giles says:

Glad the kid is OK.

30. meltz911 says:

Toss up one of the bonus pods= everyones happy till next Fri!!

31. Senior says:

It’s alright dude, appreciate the effort. Just make up for it with a new collingswood experience this summer. Makin’ Hay 2: Electric Boogaloo.

32. Euge says:

Technology fails us all at one point so don’t sweat it! Keep up your amazing work, makes my trips to work and back here in the UK actually enjoyable.

33. TS says:

No worries, shit storms happen

34. Cyprus Dave says:

The most important thing is that Sage is ok. It’s only a podcast, ok it’s only the BEST podcast available, but still, keep things in proportion mate. I for one would take the 17 mins too! Take care mate.

35. htodd says:

You’re #3. Buddy had a hard drive crash, I had a work hard drive crash, and now (most important HD to me) the TESD hard drive crashes.

Hope the kid feels better. That’s really the important part.

36. AW says:

Noooo!! Dammit, I was sooo looking forward to the new episode! Oh well, I guess it wasn’t meant to be…

Glad to hear Sage is doing better though!

37. Dirty Mike says:

Work on those pages

38. Carl says:

It is what it is. Don’t sweat it!

39. serapheem says:

Fucking Q! Guy gets a TV show then starts sabotaging anyone that he thinks will steal his spotlight…fucking asshole!

40. Sammy says:

I don’t think that would be all that fair to those of us that actually donated to get the bonus pods in the first place.
    Also, considering the guys have been giving us free entertainment for over a year now, why should they feel like they have to put up some kind of replacement at all this week, let alone one of the charity pods?.

41. Chris Ashcroft says:

What was Walt’s joke?

42. thebza451 says:

shit happens and at least your niece is alright man, don’t kill q either (he could use some punches with his new found fame). nah but really, love you guys. be good & we’ll catch you on the next ep. TESD never let’s me down.

43. thebza451 says:

love all of you (bry, walt, q, sue, Pam, Ming, Sunday Jeff, mike. sage, monster magnet, Jeff #2, not Jeff 3)

44. Jared says:

This shit happens to all of us, man. You did everything you could, and that dedication to the pod is why we love it so much. Hope Sage is doing well and this doesn’t ruin your Easter, man.

45. Sven says:

Don´t worry man, most important is the health of your niece.
    I had similar problems with final cut when cutting audio files. The solution:
    I downshifted back to really lean software like Wavelab or Cool Edit because I nearly went crazy when losing tracks.
    Yes, I´m using 10 year old audio software again, but at least I can handle it now. 🙂
    Looking forward to next friday (not the movie).

P.S. Liked the script-look-a-like-version of the incident. I can´t do it, but talented people like you should do it more often.

46. BuckinghamAlice says:

Don’t sweat it! You guys give us so much that missing a week is not a big deal.

I hope you guys talk about Mob Wives next week… Flanagan’s bound to have an interesting take on the issue, lol. And I, for one, would love to hear the 17 minutes before the sound crapped out. Maybe tack it onto the end of the coming episode.

47. Ste says:

Sighs.

Give us one of the ones you never released or SOMETHING to listen to for gods sake.

You guys should record a few random episodes to put up since this seems to happen every few weeks.

Thanks for trying, though, Bry.

48. Andy says:

I just presumed Walt went loco and dropped out good to hear not the case and a text book Q fuck up instead… wuv you x

49. Dubster says:

No worries man – when stuff like that happens, there’s nothing you can do and besides, you’re niece feeling better should outweigh all that, right? Just a quick, perhaps obvious tip:
    When you are not recording via a standalone unit but instead recording using Logic, Pro Tools, Garageband, etc. it is always best to record the audio to a separate dedicated audio drive that runs 7200RPM at all times (Green drives won’t do, as they will spin down for efficiency), and if you’re doing so with a laptop, you should use a firewire enclosed drive, preferably with an Oxford 9.XX Chipset (OWC makes good ones that are fairly cheap). Also, I know this seems obvious, but make sure the audio drive is formatted correctly for you’re OS. When you start the session and it asks you where to save the session to, you’d select your audio drive. Internal drives, especially in laptops, tend to be 5400RPM, which is too slow and can cause issues. USB2.0 doesn’t do as for audio, especially high track counts (I suppose eSata is probably as good as, if not better than firewire for audio). You can then back up to your system drive, but you are not putting a strain on it by trying to read and write lots of info from it at the same time it is running all the tasks involved in making the apps work, which is what you’re doing if you’re recording to it. Hope that makes sense. Sorry for the boring and probably obvious advice. Looooove the show.

50. Andie says:

Fucking Q…I knew he was behind this….impractical bastard!

51. Chriseee says:

So Q Fucked us twice for Easter between the recording and the Medeival Times trip. You’re suppossed to fuck like a bunny on Easter not fuck us! Just kidding. Itunes actually has been screwing with me listening too and then I went on apple and saw there was a new update that we pushed on Tuesday (that never showed on our update notifications) and seems to have fixed it.
    Glad Sage is feeling better. That croup cough is scary to hear can’t imagine how it feels especially to such a little cutie like her
    Happy Easter to you all and can’t wait for next week’s pod!

52. God damn that was entertaining as fuck to read. As always, lookin forward to the next one!

53. schon says:

I miss this show when it’s not on. Thanks for all the hard work, sucks you lost one.

Maybe you can convince Walt to come up with a game for this weeks show? That would be a hell of a consolation prize. “What’s on the Menu” was a series highlight for me. Fucking hilarious.

54. Joe says:

YOU MOTHERF…wait what am I bitchin’ for? Shits free!

But seriously, take care of the kid, have a great ester(I know I spelt it wrong), and hit us(and q to for that matter) twice as hard next week.

55. duff says:

Get a dropbox.com account and save it there immediately after you finish recording. Even if you have another harddrive failure, you’ll be able to get it back quickly.

Nothing you can do about Q though

56. It’s okay Bry I would be more worried that you made Ming and Sunday Jeff wait an extra hour so you could finish recording a pod that wasn’t released on time. I wouldn’t be afraid of them though! 😉

57. Wilbur Grey says:

Too bad, Bry. If you knew how many times I skulked back here to check on my TESD fix you wouldn’t want me as a listener.

Q should learn his place: Getting passed around like an herbal cigarette on Maroon 5’s tour bus.

58. LIJames says:

As most have said, we understand technical difficulties happen or at least most of us do. It sucks that we miss out on some comedy gold….cause you never know what might said Walt into one of those laughing fits. See you guys next week!

59. Jace says:

No big deal.
    I’m just glad you guys are still doing the show.
    Hope your niece is well.

60. Mario says:

Since bry & Q are not participating on Pucknuts they have time for more Space Monkeys

61. Vinci says:

I’m bummed that the show got corrupted, but I’m just happy you guys didn’t disband. It’s weird, but in a way listening to TESD is akin to hanging out with a set of friends every Friday afternoon (while somehow simultaneously taking my dog Chase for a long walk).
    All 3 1/2 of you guys rock (sorry Ming) – BIG thanks for the good times listening to your epic podcast.

62. Patrick Cullen says:

I love the screenplay layout there. Visualizing that in my head was well worth the lack of a pod. The look on Bry’s face in my head was classic. Well done sir and hear you next week.

63. Okay first of all, you can save yourself a step by editing in garage band which actually has a mode designed specifically for podcasts! It will import your file and convert it to 24 bit audio if you want! You can also insert photos into your timeline to illustrate a point, show us a winning photo in a contest or whatever. This would also work out very well for Booty-Time as well, being able to see the merchandise as well as hear Walt talk about it would be very cool. The layout is even based on Final Cut/Soundtrack as well.

Second, at nearly every recording session for the show you guys have 3 iPAds and an Apple laptop as well? All that technology and you can’t hook the output from the board to one of these other devices (in addition to your digital recorder) to make a redundant recording of the show? At the very least this would give you a more visual display of things like microphones getting disconnected etc.

To be honest, since I am a recording engineer, I understand that these things happen and I am likely not nearly as miffed as you are or some of the TESD fans might be. I can also agree with Ming (holy fuck I agree with MING!!!) that there’s nothing Q could have done to prevent the digital file from becoming corrupted. There are a number of things that can cause this and usually pilot/tech guy error isn’t one of them.

Gentlemen, we have the technology. We can build the worlds first redundantly recorded podcast. TESD will be that podcast. (By WE I mean YOU)

As I see it you have 2 choices, you can either have problems like this and then sit around and play the blame game and rip into one another. I know that this is part of the show’s charm but if you want to squabble just go back to stealing each other’s pizza and shit, cause then we get to HEAR that!

Zed

P.S. I hope your niece is feeling better soon.

64. Heath says:

It sucks but the main thing is lil’ bit is ok. I always suspected the Walt editing was in full effect. The Cult of Walt will be watching you even closer Bry…

• therealbry says:

Wow, I never thought of it before but could it be that Walt is sabotaging the show!?!

Never has such a horrible act of betrayal been committed!

J/K

65. Natalie says:

It’s all good. That’s what episodes 1 – 57 are for! I will happily tune into reruns to get my through my week!

66. Randy Webber says:

No worries. Can’t wait for next week though.

67. Jason melugin says:

Thanks for keeping us posted! Love the blog. Happy later Easter to you guys!

68. meltz911 says:

Jebus Bry just post one of the many bonus pods you have sitting in front of you.
    The Garrmy is starting to make fun of you(us), man up and show em whos who.
    Us TESD fans can only take so much…….
    Put anything up at this point or Paves wins.

• Big Worm says:

Is the Garmy really making fun of TESD? What episode of babble on is that on? I’d like to hear for myself.

69. Pingback: Fucking Fuck | Tell 'Em Steve Dave! | Global Hot Topics

70. GeekyBaz says:

No worries man, glad Sage is ok.

That’s the true thing about TESD – it’s always worth the wait.

71. Jeff L says:

Way to ruin Easter!

Kidding.

72. Shane says:

WTF, Im calling major wally so he can set you straight about getting out the podcast on time that costs us nothing. Haha, just kidding……I suggest makin hay 1&2 to fill the void,
    still the greatest pod ever….

73. Bill La Rue says:

Bryan,
    You mentioned Mob Wives on the last pod (I think). Knowing your penchant for some odd TV programming I decided to see what all the fuss was about.
    I didn’t think it was possible, but those women make the Jersey Shore gang look like fuckin’ savants. You or Quinn or somebody – anybody really, needs to haul ass over to Staten Island and tell those ladies to please, please take a couple college courses. Doesn’t matter what the classes are – could be Pottery at Brookdale – any class would raise their IQs by at least 20 points. I don’t know how those women aren’t too stupid to draw a breath.

74. Andy Best says:

Loved the screenplay format anecdote.

75. Leon McMichaels says:

Hope your niece feels better. Don’t worry bout the show. Sucks but shit happens. Looking forward to next weeks!

76. @UnitedBhoy says:

No Worries, Atleast you tried. I’d imagine its more annoying for you after taking so long to get a chance to finally sit down and cut it then realising there was only 17mins there?!

Any point in even releasing the 17mins?

P.S. Glad your niece is better, more important things in life than a podcast….tho don’t tell walt that, incase he tries to quit again!!

77. Joel says:

You’re fucking me Bryan!

78. I hate missing a weekly episode 😦

Oh well, I’m just going to concentrate on Making Hay 2 !!!

79. GeekyBaz says:

I checked out Mob Wives over the weekend – it is unique to say the least and as Bill says above, does make Jwoww and Snooki look like brainiacs.

I think I will stick to your first recommendation – Storage Wars.

Quick questions (to Bry) – Do you prefer Storage Wars, Auction Hunters or Forbidden Storage? Do you like Extreme Couponing? It’s like crack for me that show, so bad and watchable at the same time!

Anyway, looking forward to this week’s show and I hope someday my little podcast gets ten percent of what TESD gets (www.rocheshow.podbean.com)

80. Lenny says:

TESD is brilliant, don’t mind waiting at all. Can’t be helped. Though if any of you are seeking to cheat on the SModcast network, now that Gervais isn’t doing much for free why not check out the Peacock and Gamble podcast, just search for it on iTunes. It’s probably the best British comedy podcast out there right now and it’s free. They’re actually big fans of the Askewniverse as well. I’m not affiliated with them personally, they wouldn’t stoop to this level and they’ve got a large following anyway. I just think the humour would sit well with the average TESD fan.

81. dave says:

Fuck Apple….use linux, you can do all of the same shit…and best of all…its free!!

it’s tuesday and im waiting, awww…i never missed this podcast this much before…haha

82. Jp says:

isnt that 2 shows this year for Q? twice as many as Walt has ever. your The Man Walt.

83. OK_Computer says:

Hey Bry, I don’t know if anybody has already suggested this, but I have an idea. A sexy idea. You can include that 17 minutes salvaged into the next pod! No? Well then I guess I’ll just go home…Masturbate bitterly

84. Graham says:

Can’t rush perfection. Love the show. I was in the Stash for the very first time last week and marveled at the Tell Em’ Steve Dave roundtable! Keep up the good work!

85. piper brown says:

no worries on the pod Bry. as for those “mob wives” their cunts will dry up and they’ll be either dumped or shot. shit happens when your in the mob….

86. Jared says:

How the hell is Malcolm’s podcast more reliable then yours?

87. Jen says:

Glad Sage is feeling better. Hope you have no frustrating computer issues this week 🙂
    Jen

88. Matthew Jernberg says:

Other than the good advice about HDD disk speeds for audio file backups from “Dubster,” why hasn’t anybody here mentioned that Bry’s problem probably was that his hard-drive (HDD) was write-protected or he might not have had administrative privileges, assuming that he was using Windows?

Speaking of which, I know he has an iPad, but what kind of computer does he use for cutting and uploading the show? External firewire drives are either too archaic or rare to be of much use, so I’d recommend either going eSATA3, which needn’t require a desktop since newer laptop models tend to come with a SATA-port for external use. Also, if you can afford even a small solid-state drive (SSD), I’ve found they have much fewer read/write errors and tend to be more stable than traditional HDD’s.

SATA Wiki-Link:
    SSD vs HDD Wiki-Link:

Lastly, how to remove Windows Write-Protection from a volume on a disk (or the disk itself, just substitute ‘disk’ for ‘volume’) from within Windows Vista/7:
    Start > Run “cmd”
    type–> diskpart
    type–> list volume
    type–> select volume #
    type–> attributes disk clear readonly

• Ben Jarvis says:

Well judging by the fact that he edits with Final Cut Express, its safe to assume he uses OSX (most likely on an actual Mac).

I’m just surprised the source files are MP3 and not WAV or AIFF. Whatever works for them is fine, but my preference is to record to a laptop with Audacity in WAV (with a hardware recorder or another laptop as backup) and edit in Audacity. Export the final product to 64Kbps MP3 (I’d say OGA, but 95%-99% of the listeners won’t be able to play it).